Recreational Vehicles - Gas Safety & Compliance
Gas Safety Is Our Primary Focus
The safe use of gas is the absolute highest priority for us at Certified Gas BOP. To ensure piece of mind, we provide the highest standards of workmanship and adhere to stingent saftey procedures ensuring best practice on every job we complete. If you have any safety concerns about your use of LPG or Natural Gas, contact us and we’ll help in any way that we can, as soon as we can.
The NZ Government organization Energy Safety (which is part of Work Safe NZ) has all the information regarding working with gas, installing gas appliances and importing gas appliances on their website energysafety.govt.nz
We can check that your RV’s pipework, connections and appliances are safe to use and issue a ‘Certificate of Verification’ which is like a gasfitting warrant of fitness. It is the New Zealand Standard NZS 5255, which is the standard required for a certified gasfitter to check an existing installation and declare it as safe to use.
We recommend that all recreational vehicle owners get us to complete this for their own safety and peace of mind.
Gas Safety for RVs – Caravans & Motorhomes
- Get your gas checked annually at the same time that you update your Self Containment, and Electrical Safety Certificates
- You should always have a carbon monoxide and fire alarm installed and check annually
- Remember LPG is heavier than air and will collect at the lowest spot available if leaking
- Have a fire extinguisher mounted in an easily accessible location
- Never use a cooker as a space heater.
- Portable appliances such as heaters and lanterns must never be used inside caravans or motorhomes
- No LPG appliance should be used when a caravan is travelling, and bottles should be turned off
- All appliances must be turned off when going to a petrol station
- Apart from refrigerators and water heaters, never operate a gas appliance when occupants are sleeping.
- Always have open ventilation to the outside when using an oven or hob
- Never use damaged or corroded cylinders
- Ensure LP cylinders are firmly secured in place at all times
- Ensure you have the correct connection onto your LPG bottle.
- Appliances should be commissioned annually
Important Information for Caravan & Motorhome Owners & Importers
The new laws and regulations particularly effect importers of Caravans and Motorhomes. New regulations state that you must have all imported RVs checked and endorsed by an approved practitioner before they can be used in NZ.
We can check your pipework and appliances, make any neccessary adjustments or changes needed to ensure they are safe to use and comply with New Zealand regulations. Click below to find out more
As specialists in Caravan and Motorhome Gasfitting, we can inspect your vehicle to make sure it’s safe, even if you’ve had your RV for a while and haven’t experienced any problems, it pays to have your installation looked at and your appliances serviced to ensure they are safe to use. click the link below to see signs of required maintenance, and incorrect installations
If you’ve got similar signs or an incorrectly installed appliance like the images in the gallery – call us ASAP to get it fixed.
NEED A GASFITTER?
We'd Love To Help